[RADS] Building RADS software

Remko Scharroo remko at altimetrics.com
Thu May 8 19:55:49 CEST 2008

For your edification, I'm forwarding a reply to Ken Fairchild at UNH
who had some problems compiling RADS on Linux.
----

Hi Ken,

I'm actually developing the RADS on Mac.
I know the problem with -fno-second-underscore. I'll have to trace
down my steps, but I think it in the end depended on how the rest is
compiled. And which compiler.
If I remember well, you need -fno-second-underscore when using g77,
but not when using gfortran (for which it is standard).

I can not imagine that anything compiled on Linux, runs on Macs.

What I suggest you do for your Linux machines: use "gfortran" instead
of other compilers for fortran. You'll have to recompile netCDF 3.6.2
with gfortran to properly link with RADS if you do.

For Macs: Use Fink (finkproject.org). Install the netcdf package from
Fink as well.
For non-intel Macs set HOSTTYPE=powermac_gfortran, which makes the
RADS make process look in src/include/$HOSSTYPE to find the correct
flags and so on.
You can create similar files for intel macs.

Soon I'll make a configure script to do this more efficiently.

Cheers,
Remko